4.19.2011

Onion Soup for the Stressed-out Soul

Yesterday was one of those days where a full day of running around "getting things done" actually resulted in nothing getting done.  The result was such a feeling of defeat (especially after the news that the move will NOT go as planned) that I just wanted something super comforting to make and eat for dinner.  I've been in the process of transferring my recipes to my new fancy schmancy recipe book (thanks mom!) and I found one of my favorite long lost recipes:  Spring Onion Soup. It's the Spring, and I still had yet to initiate my Le Creuset Christmas present, so I figured heck why not!

Spring Onion Soup (makes 6 1-1/2 cu servings)

  • 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 large sweet vidalia onions, sliced
  • 2 cups chopped Spring onions / leeks
  • 2 tbsp chopped garlic
  • 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
  • 1/4 cup sherry
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
  • 3-14 oz cans low sodium beef broth
  • 1/4 minced scallions/ chives
  • 6 slices country whole wheat bread
  • 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
Here's where we start:
onions galore!
this is the hardest part of the entire recipe for me.  Onions and my eyes
do NOT get along
lots o' leeks
1.  Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sweet onions and stir to coat. Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring often until soft and starting to brown ; approx 6-8 mins.
saute-ing onions are one of my fave kitchen smells
2.  Add spring Onions/ leeks, garlic and thyme.  cook uncovered, stirring often, until starting to soften, 3-4 mins.
yum yum
3.  Stir in sherry and pepper; increase heat to medium-high and simmer.
got to use up the contents of our well-stocked bar since we
cannot take any of it overseas with us.  
Cook, stirring often, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 1-2 mins.

4.  Stir in broth and bring to boil.
Reduce heat to simmer and cook until veggies are tender, about 3 mins.  Remove from heat and stir in chives/scallions
5.  Meanwhile, toast the bread and divide among bowls; top bread with cheese.
Ladle soup over bread and cheese.  Serve immediately
absolutely simple and amazing!
Instant stress relief, at least for the moment.  Here's hoping for a less stressful and much more productive day today. Have a spectacular Tuesday!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...