3.10.2011

Merry Mardi Gras (part 2)

Mardi Gras isn't all about beads and parades, it's also about the costumes.  Its a weird phenomenon -- mardi gras costumes are taken much more seriously than Halloween costumes.  So my Mardi Gras day began at 7:00am with my breakfast being cooked by a cowgirl, an Indian, a Sea Goddess and Bacchus.  You know, just like any normal day.

the whole motley crue before heading out to the parades
While most people spend months planning and creating their costumes, I sat down the night before, inspired by a heart antenna headband I caught at an earlier parade.  3 hours, lots of glue and a petticoat later, Voila, queen of hearts costume
this is how you reuse halloween costume
elements later in the year
After breakfast we then marched down to the Zulu parade.
Happy campers early in the am
Zulu float
No I didn't catch a coconut (I was sad about this fact until Mr. Bama informed me that we can't take them when we move, which instantly cheered me up), but after Zulu, came Rex.  And but of course, Texas A&M's Ross Volunteers opened the Rex parade.  Secret: Aggies are EVERYWHERE
A&M's Ross volunteers looking dapper
in their dress whites
Halfway through the parade we decided to high-tail down to the French Quarter, stopping at Canal Street to catch the end of the Rex parade

we made our way down to the French Quarter, which was amazing (and I'm shocked I didnt get any pictures)   but by about 3:00 we arrived at Frenchmen's street in the Marigny.  Frenchman's on Mardi Gras day = random dance party in the middle of an intersection.  Case in point (note: turn down the volume on your comp before playing.  Sorry)
(apologies for the fuzziness / crummy sound of the video.  But the craziness kind of sums up the day!) 

All in all,  it was a Mardi Gras to remember.  On our way home through the CBD, I managed to snap this one picture of the aftermath, that sums it up, a sign of a great day.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...