11.19.2009

Fun with Cabbage

My husband sometimes goes on day trips with his work and last week he went to Plaquemines Parrish in Southeast LA. He came back with a bunch of odd, yet tasty stuff, having stopped at a farmer's roadside stand on his way back. The primary piece of produce that he came home with? A HUGE head of green cabbage. My response when I saw it - "what the heck am I going to do with green cabbage?" I grew up in a red cabbage family, so this was totally a new area for me. So I scoured my cookbooks and the internet for cabbage recipes. To no true avail, I looked in my pantry and fridge and threw something together. And the result - Not half bad! This is not a rich or heavy meal, its a perfect, light, healthy and actually quite filling recipe.


Asian Chicken Slaw Salad - Serves 2

ingredients
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • kosher salt
  • pepper
  • olive oil
  • 4 cups of sliced green cabbage
  • handful of salted peanuts
  • handful of green onions, sliced
  • handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 2 TBSP sesame oil
  • 2 TBSP low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tsp ginger, peeled and minced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 TBSP rice vinegar

method

  1. lightly brush chicken breasts with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill til opaque. Cut into strips once done and put to side.
  2. mix cabbage, peanuts, green onions and cilantro in large bowl
  3. in small bowl, mix sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and vinegar. Set to side.
  4. add chicken to cabbage mix, then drizzle with oil mix and toss to coat.

This mix is also perfect for putting in a wrap!

Here's the final product (actually, this is after we had already helped ourselves to our serving.)


as you can see, nice, green and very tasty!

1 comment:

M. Eileen said...

i love love love cabbage and I love these recipe's. I only know how to make german cabbage :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...